Mortar and pestle are one of the universal appliances used in the research laboratory. Various scientific fields widely use Mortar and Pestle for their numerous application.
Mortar & Pestle is a crushing & grinding tool. The Mortar is a deep bowl or cup which almost make of Grey agate, Granite, metal & hardwood. The Pestle is a heavy & long round shaped gizmo which use to crush & mash things in the deep base of mortar. It uses to prepare a fine paste or powder. This powder or paste make up two or more ingredients or substances
Mortar and pestle become a great source of contamination if left unclean. There exist various ways to clean mortar and pestle which are tedious and time-consuming. Importantly, every method to Clean mortar and pestle is more likely to depend upon the ingredient which is to be crushed as well as the material from which mortar and pestles are made. Besides this, it is also important to know each and every step has its own significance and value in the cleaning process. Below, there are some ways to clean mortar and pestle of different types which are quick, effective and easy to follow.
- First of all, Black Granite and Agate mortar and pestle which are more likely to retain stain if the ingredient nature is oily or acidic in nature. To avoid this, these are the steps one must follow to clean mortar and pestle.
- To rinse mortar and pestle, one should use running water.
- Leave it for a towel to air dry.
- Take 2 tablespoons of white rice grains and start crushing them.
- Remove the colored grains and repeat the process until the crushes grains remain white.
- Again, rinse mortar and pestle with water.
- Leave mortar pestle for air dry.
- Later, rinse mortar and pestle with either Acetone and Isopropyl alcohol.
- Similarly, for metal, glass or ceramic mortar pestle which are more beneficial to remove the metallic impurities from the sample, one can take the following steps
- Rinse from warm running water
- Later, you need a gentle scrubber that can scrub the left debris from the surface.
- Again you can rinse with warm running water.
- Left mortar and pestle for the air dry.
- While in the case of the wooden mortar pestle
- You need to first remove the remaining debris with the help of some dry cloth or paper.
- Dampen the clean cloth in warm water and use this to wipe the surface.
- Let mortar and pestle dry in air.
- Later, take the neat and clean cloth and apply some mineral oil to it. Use this cloth to wipe the surface.
- This oil is odorless, tasteless and would not spoil the texture of the mortar and pestle
Hence, methods to clean mortar and pestle seems like a time-consuming, monotonous and tedious task. So, the details about the ingredient and texture of mortar and pestle can lead us to the desired method to clean mortar and pestle. Above all the most worthy fact is that these steps are less time to consume, less hazardous, quick and easy to perform.
Finally , here are our Mortar and Pestle Products: